Sunday, October 17, 2010

Back in Brooklyn Part II



Yesterday I did my longest run yet.  20 miles baby!!!  


The first 18 were actually pretty amazing. The last two sucked. A lot. I stopped for a stoplight around mile 19 and when the light turned I accidentally let out an audible groan just trying to pick up my foot. It felt like lead.

I ran the whole way without music and it was awesome. It was the most beautiful day ever and I really enjoyed it. I think I'm going to run the actual race without headphones.

It's amazing how much you see when you run for over three hours. I ran from Fort Greene to Prospect Park and around the park and then back to Fort Greene to drop Nelson off (he ran the first six miles with me). Then I headed to the Manhattan Bridge, ran over it, into Chinatown, over to the Brooklyn Bridge, over that bridge back into Brooklyn. Then I ran down the Promenade, up into Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens, over the Gowanus canal to Park Slope, back into and around the park, then back through Park Slope and back to Fort Greene. Whew, I got tired just typing that. I saw a pigeon hit by a bike, a bride on the Brooklyn Bridge, three raccoons crossing the street, and a whole lot more that I now cannot remember. Here is my approximate route:  



I ate pretty much a double breakfast yesterday so I was okay hunger-wise on the run until the last few miles when I got really hungry. But that's because I only brought one energy packet (Raspberry flavored Hammer Gel which I totally thought would be disgusting but it was also delicious) because I left my others in Atlanta by accident.  



I'm having some kind of intense left shin pain but I think it'll be okay. I iced it last night and this morning. Hoping it's nothing serious.

I feel like I'm going to be ready!!!  Yippeeee!!  Don't forget to donate!  www.crowdrise.com/ashleypatterson 

BIG thank you to Emily and Lindsay for their super generous donations!!!  Love you both!  I'm up to $975!  Almost one third of the way there!!

Running through Prospect Park
More of the park
Nelson after six miles
Running up the bridge
Sunset over the tip of Manhattan
Brooklyn Bridge
View of Manhattan from the promenade in Brooklyn
The Gowanus Canal at sunset
Out with friends after






No comments:

Post a Comment